Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruninho8 View Post
Well for looks, and ( like i said im a total noob when it comes to tuning) i heard that if i try to drift stock ill completely screw up the alignment of the car and a way to avoid that would be coilovers (thats what i was told).
and yea im deff going to get some track days in so i can get extremely comfortable with the car.
No, whoever told you that is an idiot. Well, unless you drift the car into curbs and other various immovable objects, they have a tendency to knock wheels out of alignment, hehe... But coilovers will not fix that. What he may have been referring to, is stock suspension may be too soft for aggressive drifting or racing, which can allow the wheels' alignments to flex into undesirable positive (outward) angles. You will not however, "screw up" the alignment on stock suspension, that's absurd.

Competition drift cars have abnormally stiff suspension, and their alignment makes the car very awkward to drive until it's sideways. Just something to think about.

Lowering any car can negatively affect it's "roll center" (virtual longitudinal axis around which the car leans left or right). This has some to do with center of gravity, and more to do with suspension geometry. A too-low roll center making it feel very tippy like a minivan, even if it's been lowered (this actually makes the problem worse).

All of the posters above gave advice that is spot on; do a lot of track days and HDPE events and learn the car. Stay humble, be eager to learn, and check the ego EVERY time you get into the car.

Edit:
After doing a track event or two, you may find you want a second set of wheels for track tires. Typical first upgrades for tracked cars are brake fluid, brake pads, and track tires.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Bruninho8 (08-12-2012)