View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 11:19 PM   #9
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I completed 13 track days on my JRSC setup last year, and I am totally in love with how my brz drives on track with the extra power, combined with the brz's lightweight handling dynamics, which is a 'must keep' for me. Even the 3200lb cars i drive on track feel heavy and enormous to me, and I wouldn't and haven't traded for it even if it comes with much more power to "compensate". this is a personal call...more power isnt always more fun. remember we don't drive spec sheets. find what is most exciting for you.

as far as going FI on a brz, in my opinion, you need to enjoy working on your car to do it right and not eventually resent it. higher complexity and power beyond OEM intentions means higher maintenance requirements to care for it properly. lots of diligence. and more money than face value. So far I'm pleased to say my car hasn't given me any issues at all, and oil analysis' come back healthy. its a 2014 brz with 72k, and has been tracked most of its life.

i did the install and all the work myself, and i am financially and mentally prepared to deal with mechanical failures. i enjoy my project track car as a hobby, a creative outlet, and a really enjoyable challenge. i probably spent around 7-8k for the JRSC kit and supporting mods/tune. if you like driving mostly, and dont enjoy working on your car or being in the garage, and just want a faster car but dont really want to deal with it in the garage much, id advise you to avoid going FI and just get a faster car, that was designed to be that fast from the start. if you had planned on paying someone to install the FI kit, just look at newer cars.

I also constantly window shop and the 'what ifs' of newer, faster out of the box cars plague me, ha. I imagine this will never end. with so many great cars out there, how can it?

one thing i know is that the brz is paid off, consumables are dirt cheap compared to anything but miatas, and im not stressing about pushing hard out there like i would be with an newer expensive car. that peace of mind is worth a lot to me, i've found. i dont really believe owning a faster newer car would result in me having really any more fun at a track. the brz gets my adrenaline going just fine.

couple notes on the JRSC kit - heat soak and 250+ oil temps are a thing on 90+ dg days, ive had to end sessions early or take cooldown breaks mid session. these days are rare in michigan though. nonetheless ive made some ducting for the cooling stack and im excited to try it out and see if it helped. i think the JRSC kit is the best choice for FI on a track car, and all FI methods will suffer from heat issues in certain conditions.

i fuel starve horribly on e85 w/ FI. on NA the fuel door made it livable. i am working on an aux fueling solution to fix it. i was forced to run 93 all last year b/c of it.

Last edited by jacobe38; 04-27-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added tracking notes
jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jacobe38 For This Useful Post:
AllThePeat (05-07-2022), BatStig (01-26-2024), CSG Mike (04-27-2022), deca (05-01-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (04-27-2022), Ultramaroon (04-27-2022)