View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #33
treedodger

Drives: 2022 GR86 (was 2013 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Thats usually the case. Insurance feels like a waste of money till it's not. But hopefully you never get there. Most people probably do just self-insure.
If you can't financially or mentally absorb the loss of your car, get track insurance.

There is ways you can total your car at the track that are completely out of your control (i.e. someone hits you, or you hit someone else's oil/antifreeze and spin into a wall)... but the odds of that are likely between 10,000:1 to 1000:1

Last time I quoted track insurance, it was about $200 for $20,000 of coverage, which works out to about 1%. So the insurance company figures the odds of getting in an accident are << 1/100, if they want to make any profit. Some tracks with limited runoff see a lot more loss (i.e. Sonoma)

I have about 40+ trackdays, and only a couple close calls, but I know others that have had really bad luck. From my observations, most incidents occur to drivers with 5 to 15 trackdays of experience; Enough experience to have speed, but limited car control/recovery skills.
treedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treedodger For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (04-12-2021)