Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
That was indeed my point. It looks exotic, it sounds exotic (carbon!) but numbers say the opposite. If it was much much lighter than a Miata then things would be different, but fact is that it is heavier. Certain engineering decisions were entirely wrong here. Maybe not the carbon cockpit, but certainly something ...

I also don't see any reason with the +30hp on the revised Mazda to pay twice for the 4C.
2,465 is very light; is it not the lightest current production sports car? My 1989 MR2 weighed about that much and that was 30 years ago when cars weren't bogged down by hundreds of pounds in safety equipment and wore 14" wheels/tires. Sure it didn't have a carbon tub; it had tinny sheetmetal that rotted out everywhere instead.

Part of the fun of the 4C is its exclusivity. If you buy a MX-5 you're not making a bad choice by any means, but you'll see cars just like yours every day. I like driving something less common so it appeals to me. Especially lately when I see a poorly modified FR-S/BRZ drive by (of which there are several), it makes me wish I could jump into something else so as not to be associated with those cars.

For those who haven't driven one, you've got to. It's a hoot! I would not want to daily drive it, although some masochists do. Been there done that with enough cars. The engine could really use another thousand revs to feel more racecar-like (my 4.2L V8 RS6 revved to 6,500 rpm for chrissake! Interestingly, both cars have the same 0-60 times) but it gives you a great shove and the sounds are a lot of fun.

Certainly, another car in the segment to consider heavily is the Cayman S. I personally never cared for the styling of them and would just as soon buy an older 911 in the same price bracket before I'd get a Cayman, but they are excellent cars to drive (wheeled a 2015 S PDK around Thompson Motor Speedway for a half dozen laps or so) and more well-rounded.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Braces (08-28-2018)