View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #76
SlickWillyFRS

Drives: 13’ JDL FRS, 15’ Cummins JKU
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You and everyone else are focusing on the reliability aspect, and that's definitely important. I saw an interview where Quirt Crawford himself said that the first thing that happened when he first built the 500+ hp BRZ was that an axle broke, and then they started having to go through the car beefing up whatever couldn't handle the power.

However, specific to your comment I quoted here, you say your Jeep has become an impractical daily driver. The other thing that stuck in my head from that Quirt Crawford interview was when he said once it had all that power, it was no longer fun to drive. He said the BRZ in stock form was a car you could drive at 10/10 all the time, whereas once you add power, it becomes a chore to constantly hold the car back in traffic. He said it had lost balance and wasn't a practical daily at all.

This is the guy who built the car and sells the kits, saying he made it less practical and less fun to drive.

So if you want a BRZ/FR-S/86 because you want a practical daily driver, you may be disappointed with a really crazy build. You might decide then that you need another daily driver, so maybe you'll buy something else. Then perhaps you'll get tired of having the FR-S you never drive, and you'll try to sell it, only to find that adding crazy power mods to a car doesn't increase the value in any proportion to their cost. Finally you'll end up selling the car at a big loss just to get it out of your sight.

Based on everything else you've said, you've already looked well ahead in other areas of your life. Not sure you've seen the future on this decision.
Dang man, that was extremely well put. I believe I saw that same interview. I never thought about it like that though. From all the info I've gathered through this thread, I think the road ahead for me is get a relatively stock used FRS/86 (maybe buy one with minor modification) and drive it for a while. From there if I choose to start putting money into it, I'll focus on better handling modifications (If I feel I even need it!). If I do choose to put some money into the engine, I don't think I am going to be doing any sort of "+300" kit, but something more modest and with some better research first.

Thanks for this input man!
humfrz (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-21-2018)