View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Toe-in won't prevent wheels from spinning out if you give engine too many beans or car lacks grip (due tire choice, aero setup, road pavement type, overload or mass transfer at specific maneuver).
However car will still feel more stable even if traction loss. Even on ice/snow car you will need to fight/correct less to keep going straight with rear wheels drifting, i found also being able to accelerate out of corners easier, step on gas quicker, with rear toe-in, vs zero toe, which imho was too nervous, and while eases rotation, i prefer minding other things on track then spending all concentration workarounding or getting ready for alignment quirks.
Toe-in is like presteered wheels to centerline of car. When car gets slightly sideways, one wheel doesn't push inside anymore, while wheel on side car's rear slipped to steers in even more, tending to restore car to straight trajectory. When in corner you lean less on inside tire, more on outer, due mass transfer more grip going to outer tire that is pre-steered inside again trying to move that car end with toe-in back inside turn, not slip out.
Drawbacks are slightly increased tire wear (but not that bad to make tragedy of it, if toe is within reasonable range), and a bit less willingless to rotate that end in turns, but as everyhing is compromise, i much prefer that extra stability, from what i tried in different alignments, as there are several means to get more rotation with driver inputs, if wished.
If you decide against rear toe-in .. at very least set toe on both sides as even as possible.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote