2013 FRS
JRSC factory tune
JR dual radiator/oil cooler kit
Stock bumper/etc
OEM coolant (new)
Mobile1 5w30

Constraints:
No availability of E85

First time running JRSC at the track yesterday at Mission raceway near Vancouver. If anyone is familiar with the track its very tight and pretty short, front straight top speed with my setup was about 145km/h, and there are 3 straight sections. Track is known for being really hard on brakes, so you can probably imagine lots of running out the gears in 2/3 between the corners which means a lot of engine heat.

I threw a CEL after about 4 laps when ambient temperature was 29C (84F), coolant temperature sensor low voltage. My coolant temperature was pushing 250F+, and my oil temperature was pushing 270F. In follow up sessions I could get in 2 laps pushing pretty hard before oil temps would get closer to 260, and I'd have to manage heat by short shifting and not running WOT. Bit of a bummer to be honest.

Last session of the day I turned the heat on full and vented it out the passenger side, and my coolant temp didn't go above 240. I was able to run a full session like that, but I'm obviously uncomfortable with this amount of heat.

As an observation; a new Civic type R was also having heat issues, but that's nothing new. None of the other factory turbo'd cars at the track were doing limpy laps other than an STI.

I *thought* the dual radiator kit would work well but I'm wondering if it was a mistake to purchase it instead of the standalone oil cooler.

I'm looking for any ideas on how to reduce engine oil and coolant temps. I've thought about:
- venting the hood, but I'm trying to keep the car pretty low key exterior wise, and I'm doubtful it would make a big enough difference to be worth it
- changing coolant
- switching to a JR standalone oil cooler
- wrapping the stock header, not sure if this is even possible? I haven't looked at it yet, but usually oem headers don't have a lot of clearance for wrapping. I still have the oem heatshield so it would have to come off - not sure what decrease in temp I'd get

Overall I feel that there likely isn't one solution here and its probably going to be a combination of multiple fixes to get the temperature down, I'd also like some feedback if I'm going to put a ton of effort/time/money into trying to solve this issue and it might not actually be solvable.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote