Old 10-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Not calling OP a liar, but do the pictures in the first post not really make sense for the narrative? It sounds like OPs car was stopped at the stop line, but it is still at the line with the car behind right on it's bumper. I would expect OPs car to be pushed back a bit with the damage to the car, but I don't see any skid marks in front of the line, and that would imply the OP was well into the crosswalk? And that truck looks like it was hit from behind, but it's stopped right against the righthand side of the white vehicle. If the other car was in the opposite lane, I would expect all the momentum to carry from the left to the right from the white vehicle's perspective right?

I suppose if traffic in the rightmost lanes were moving the truck could have hit the oncoming Merc head on and been rear ended by someone behind? Idk, it's just confusing...

Also, glad to hear OP is ok, sad about the car. Good to know the roof structure is solid.
I have spent 30 years investigating accidents (including a year doing traffic ones) and determined about 29 years ago that ideas formed during the first glance are almost never correct.
Look closer at the damage to his car especially to the hood and the nice tire mark on the fender. It fits perfectly with his description. The main impact came from above first then proceeds to cross the car horizontally. This would have directed the bulk of the initial force down and only moved the car back a few inches instead of several feet. It then mostly missed the car behind him and struck the pickup which was likely over a little further in the lane. The impact spun the truck sideways and everything ended up on the opposite side of where you would expect it. There is no damage (we can see) to the rear of the truck so it was clearly hit from the front and spun around. That is my take away from the limited two dimensional images we have to work with. I bet some pictures from the rear would show that situation clearly.
If the car had been just a few inches lower and hit him square on the front then the outcome would have been very different and he may not be here telling us the story.
alphasaur (10-15-2020), Dadhawk (10-15-2020), FRSapex (10-19-2020), gravitylover (10-16-2020), hgamit (10-15-2020), MJones_RB (10-15-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-15-2020), soundman98 (10-15-2020), Spuds (10-15-2020)