View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #1
Apsley Garrard

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WEIRD - Abnormally quiet car after flash

So, I decided to install a catless EL header, catless resonated frontpipe and custom muffler. After I installed everything, I flashed one of Wayne's roms using tactrix. Car ran great up to that point and made great roaring sound.

Unfortunately, I got stopped by the police, and in my country it is illegal to modify the exhaust, so they forced me to have my car inspected within a week. So that day I put back the stock header and flashed the original rom. I noticed the car sounded quieter than before, but i thought it was only my imagination.

So I took the inspection, and right after that I put again the catless header, and started the car with the stock rom: car sounded really quiet, almost as if the header still had a cat. Also, like you all already know, the cold start can be very loud being catless, but it wasn't the case. The revs climbed high as usual during cold start, and my house should all be shaking, but it didn't happen. It sounded really, really quiet. Definetely not normal.

So, then I flashed again one of Wayne's roms, and still the same thing. The car still sounds as if it were catted. And my butt dyno tells me it isn't delivering all the power it should. Something isn't quite right and I don't know what it is. I took it to have it checked for exhaust leaks and they didn't find anything. I'm a total newbie but could it be something related to the cams or vvt? I haven't got any check engine lights as of yet. Any ideas would be welcome.
Apsley Garrard is offline   Reply With Quote