Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
My Primacy HPs (DOT label says 2012) are starting to dry rot/crack @ 25K(used car that didnt get driven much before i bought it) and i have RPF1 17x8s on the way and need some tire advice. I honestly didnt think these were terrible tires but they are pricey and for the amount of grip they have they are pretty loud.

Looking for 215/45/17s, summer performance tires under $130 if possible. I do a lot of highway driving but do like to wind it out on curvy roads so i dont want a mushy tire.

The Continental ExtremeContact Sports (not DW's) look like a good deal though i've never used contis. Supposedly about as good as Michelin PSS at $50 a tire cheaper... anyone else have any good recommendations?
Very easy

BFGoodrich G-force Sport Comp 2
$113.15 - 215/45ZR17
Cheap, but not a cheap-o tire
Long name for a great summer tire. They have terrific dry grip and superior ride comfort to the newer Firestone Firehawk Indy500 (which grips even harder, but rides like it was made from a solid block of urethane.) The BFGs also run wider than most tires (probably how they make some of that additional performance.) So they get rid of the stock "stretch" look of 215 tires on the OEM wheels. I've ran two sets and loved them while I had them. Eventually I moved to Michelin Pilot Sport S4 (after getting a raise.) but wouldn't hesitate to get another set of the BFG Sport Comp2s in a heartbeat.

Test here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=217

Charts here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=217 )

They came within a stone's thrown of TireRack Max performance category in most tests while keeping the tossable fun nature of the car. All performance categories were improved above the Primacy's. The BFGs even give the MPSS a run for their money if price is considered in all categories except wet tests where Michelin reigns supreme.

Average Corning G-Force
Dry
MPSS - .92 g
BFG - .89 g

Wet
MPSS - .78 g
BFG - .74 g

Slalom
Dry
MPSS - 5.00 sec
BFG - 5.07 sec

Wet