Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Captain Snooze: regarding (2) i recall seeing posts from few shop workers about crank bearings having short live for EJ & FA engines they had rebuilt or repair for cases where both lightweight CP & FW were installed. Rather soon at it. Something along the lines that only one of them should be installed, not both.
Yeah, I recall those/that post. It was a respected builder (MAP? Element? I can't be bothered searching ) but the issue was the combination of the two when the flywheel was reduced below a certain mass. That is, one could have a lwcp and a lighter flywheel. One could not have a lwcp and light weight flywheel. There seemed to be a critical mass at which the engine fell apart when the flywheel mass was reduced too much.

Speaking of which.
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the pros/cons of a light weight crank shaft pulley but I don't seem to read much about the impact of a light weight flywheel on the harmonics of a crankshaft. I am hypothesising given the much greater mass of the flywheel it would play a greater role in crankshaft damping/harmonics.
I am totally out of my depth here.