View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #10
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Thanks for the insight. That was kinda the point of the testing-- I had some contingency money to spend at a local shop before end of 2021 and he had the AIM sensors on the shelf, so "hey let's do some science" heh. always better to measure and bring some info to the table vs. just asking questions. now I'm armed with a little data from a single race and I can make adjustments and see how it goes.

Due to life schedule, I only get to do about 3-4 races a year, so fluid typically ages out vs. wears out. (in short, I change it once a year whether it needs it or not!)

But I do plan to add some heat barriers/shielding, just haven't gotten there yet. I have a large sheet of the DEI 'floor and tunnel shield' and also some header wrap laying around.

My more immediately pressing issue is to get the brake cooling back under control. I had a wreck last year that tore all the brake ducts up. I ran the last race without them due to lack of time, but the additional heat used 90% of of pads in a single weekend whereas I used to get 3-4 weekends out of a set.
So Verus Eng/ Velox brake ducts and steering rack limiters are sitting on the shop floor with some new 3" hose. If I get time, I'll put some sort of heat shield on the exhaust around the trans and maybe diff.

I don't think it'll make much difference in the temps. since the fluid is sitting *juust* beneath the temp sensor in a static setting, that stuff is getting circulated and thrown everywhere inside the case when I'm moving- splashing from the gears and sloshing from the whole sump as I turn and brake. the sensor is thus basically dunked in gear oil every other turn or brake zone so I'm confident I'm getting "good enough" data. not real concerned about the exact +/- 1deg data, but the +/- 20deg that tells me whether the fluid is going to last a while without a cooler or if I need to add some cooling.

Additionally, the metric to NPT adapter thingies are sealed with an o-ring against the case. I don't feel real comfortable putting that at the bottom of the trans and risking losing ALL my fluid if that seal fails, plus losing my tattletale shrapnel magnet.
You could also look at an aftermarket high volume diff cover. Most include ports for sensors &/or cooler lines. See eBay for a Cusco knock-off at a more reasonable cost. The Cusco and Greddy offerings are ridiculously priced.
Not sure about options for the tranny.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote