View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #627
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Different brake kits most likely require need different configurations. So why spend thousands on calipers but gripe about putting street hardware in while driving on the street? A set of street pads costs less than a single tire. Would you think it kind of silly if someone was complaining about their 200TW tires not being quiet and comfortable on the street? Get the right pads for your driving conditions.
I dont follow your logic. Having a setup thats capable of withstanding more heat shouldn't automatically force you into a setup thats miserable on the street. Hence why I attempted a couple different sets of street pads for street use. Ive had setups on cars with significantly larger calipers than these wilwoods with zero issues using the same pads. So its nothing to do with how much I spent or these calipers being too "racecar".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I've got the stage 2 kit with BP20 pads. I don't think this combination will ever be 100% silent on the street, but after a good bedding (track weekend), it definitely quiets down. Under light braking, it's silent. In moderate braking or once the brakes get some heat, it will still screech a fair amount.

Once the rotors lose that transfer layer, it's usually back to screeching full time. I don't mind since my car is driven mostly on track, but friends/family who ride in my car usually ask whether I need to change my pads lol.
I understand. Sometimes that seems to work and other times it doesn't. Last autoX event coming home they were even more noisy than when I left the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
@cruizin01 Unfortunately I think you're right.... with this BBK using the super-light Wilwood calipers, they just reverberate alot of pad noise. The BP10s that came with my performance kit sequel pretty bad, tried some hawk hps and they actually after breaking in turned out to be even louder....

I even tried using that orange brake noise grease on the back of the pads, that helped for about a day. Maybe there are some magical shims that would help these out, but not sure.
Yeah Ive tried the orange goo. Ive tried chamfering the pads. Ive tried the magic sauce that you soak into the pads to quiet them down. Ive tried a seperate set of rotors. It all is very temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
The only way I managed to quiet down my kit was running EBC greenstuff with their anti squeal tape and placing the wilwood shims on top of the tape. and it wasn't 100% quiet.

I've ended up returning to OEM calipers, which surprisingly improved my lap times by 1.7 seconds.
Im definitely considering that. At this point Im only doing 1-2 track days a year and several autox events. Beyond that its just a weekend/fun street car. The stock setup would be fine with the right pad setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maregt View Post
I have stage 2 front caliper with Ferodo DS2500 and blank dba 4000 rotors. Brakes are silent when cold (i mean, dead cold) and they start to squeal when they get warm after 3-4 stops.

Inviato dal mio LG-M320 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yeah, same here. They are quiet until warmed up.

Thanks everyone for your input.