Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #226
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
I've had a few Lexus cars, and my '18 Tundra, with the collision avoidance systems. Not a fan. In my experience, it has created more danger than it has eliminated. That is partially due to individual driving conditions/habits, but I've have vehicles brake hard, when they shouldn't be braking. Their was TSB on the system in my truck, and they didn't like the 2.5" leveling lift on the front. I know in some cases these systems can be shut down, but am curious about possible liability issues that could happen if you were found at fault in a serious accident.
I have never experienced the Toyota system but my wife's last two cars have had the Subaru Eyesight safety systems in them. The collision avoidance in them is not intrusive at all. I experimented with the system by putting a bunch of boxes on the road and trying to hit them. The only way it activates at all is if you take absolutely zero action while headed for them. The slightest twitch of the steering or tap on the brake and they will not activate. You literally have to drive straight at something and it will not engage until it determines a collision is imminent and you are not acting. It has never come on during any driving by her or myself. All in all if you were totally oblivious to a situation and are so close to having a collision that it kicks in then there would be no time for you to react anyway.
Some of the features are really nice if you spend a lot of time on the highway. I would totally love to have the adaptive cruise and back up blind spot monitoring.
Brz-123 (06-10-2021), Cephas (06-09-2021), HKz (06-09-2021), Nails (06-09-2021), StE92ve (06-09-2021), Stonehorsw (06-09-2021), timurrrr (06-09-2021)