View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just got back from a two-day track event at SP Shenandoah. Incredible weekend. Couple of quick thoughts:

1. I finally got cleared for Solo (no instructor), woot! I did my last two runs on Sunday without an instructor. Very different experience, and while I've had fun with and learned something from all of my instructors, it was definitely enjoyable being out there solo.

2. My first instructor asked why I wasn't in intermediate and my second instructor flat out told me I should be in intermediate. I had no idea -- nobody says after X track days, you should be in intermediate. Wish it was more clear, but now I know I guess.

3. I played around with late apexes a lot. It was amazing to me how much a late apex opens up room for track-out. You can get on the throttle earlier/harder without running out of track. Nifty.

4. I played around more with trail-braking into the sharper corners. It does not feel like it will bite in this car, at least in the mild degree I'm using it, but it does allow for more turn-in. Not night and day, but noticeable. Felt stable.

5. On a tangent, I randomly had lunch with Jack Baruth (and a couple of other instructors). For a guy who doesn't like our cars much, Jack is pretty hilarious and tells some great stories. He was there doing a track segment for Road and Track's long term C7 Stingray. After lunch, he was like, grab your helmet and I'll give you a ride in the new Stingray. Holy hell. Baruth in the C7 is devastating. That man can drive (smooth and fast) and the new Vette is massively quick.

Only had time to snap a quick picture during grid (btw the C7 has a nice interior):

I can also say in absolute truth, I passed a car with Baruth in it multiple times.

6. Lastly, have to comment on the FR-S. It was awesome again. I will have to add camber bolts as I'm chunking/chewing up the outer edges of my tires pretty badly, but the brakes were holding up with the Sumitomos, and I would just back off slightly when I could feel the pads starting to fade.

I had an ABS light early in the morning after I managed to lock up a wheel going 100+ mph, but once I restarted the car, it was fine. Perhaps that tire was wet/cold.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
torqdork (05-18-2014)