Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
Pinoy_FRS

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopecma View Post
45k miles on the car.

They were non-committal on the mechanism of the rod bearing failure “it’s a known issue with this engine”. Stated that they didn’t believe it could directly attributed to the recall work.

I was told multiple times that “Toyota will contact you” so I thought I would have a chance to plead my case with them. When I attempted to contact them I was referred to the PR person at the dealer who gave me back to the service manager.

I was hopeful that the labor would be included since the short block was deemed to be covered under the powertrain warranty. At that point though, I just wanted my car back and understood that I was going to be stuck writing a check no matter whether or not Toyota covered the labor.

The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth, but I get that all parties probably share some responsibility in paying for the failure. I drove the car for several years putting some wear on the bearing. Toyota donated a $6800 short block with a one year warranty. The dealership discounted their labor and gave me a rental for a month (but also probably compromised oil flow to the rod bearing in the first place).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really hope that isn’t the case with my car. I had the recall service done about a month ago. I picked it up one and a half weeks later only only for my check engine light and slip light to come on. I brought it back and it turned out to be a bad ocv. Got it fixed and picked it up another week later. Two weeks of getting the car back and my engine completely fails on me driving on the highway. I turned it on and heard this loud knock on the motor so I got it towed to the same dealership. My car was running fine before I brought it in for the recall. I did it for peace of mind but ever since after I’ve been getting nothing but problems with my car. Do you think Toyota will blame me for the engine failing because of normal wear and tear?
Pinoy_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote