Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
So, these cars could have just stomped on it and passed by me but my line prevented it by the looks of it. With limited experience at this, my sensory process says 180 degrees view first priority, the extra .5 sec watch the back as well. Never been with cars that want to go this fast previously probably wasn't at all an issue then. Ya gotta watch your rear for people that can blow by and make that .5 or so sec.

I will try and stay out of the higher caliber driver's way going forward. Maybe if I get some pro training and a pro setup we can exchange helpful advice and encouragement in the future.

No hard feelings, I don't want to increase the risk for anyone in this sport. It just felt bad when someone at around 4 pm said, "You're dangerous, you should go home now." I guess we all have our way.
I wouldn't post it on social media either but there's a positive and negative side to that as well.
I highly suggest taking a HPDE course. This is why we preach taking a course first before going for open lapping. The objectives for all drivers on track on an open lapping day (for us at PADA anyways) are:

1- Be safe
2- Let traffic by at designated passing zones
3- Drive within your limits

The video posted clearly shows the white FRZ not taking a racing line and constantly aggro'ing the car in front when there is clearly a train.

Also, whenever I get into a train like that, I just pit out and go back to the pit in and wait for an opportunity to get in.

Did they not cover this in the driver's meeting?

Generally, the rules that people should abide by for open lapping are as follows (will vary from meet to meet so PAY attention during the driver's meeting):

1- Passing to occur ONLY in designated passing zones
2- Car being passed let off gas and make an OBVIOUS point by to the car DIRECTLY behind it (I recommend using your arm and point in the direction you want the car to pass you on)
3- Car doing the passing CAN ONLY pass when given a point by (ONE POINT PER CAR)
4- Rest of cars in train then queue up behind car being passed to await for their own point by. ALWAYS DRIVE THE RACING LINE.
5- If NO point by, NO PASSING

I am more than happy to give someone 15 minutes of coaching if it prevents crap like this on a lapping day. This is NOT safe for anyone.

I also do not like the fact no one is wearing helmets.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 05-24-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (05-24-2018)