View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automatic car wash took off clear coat (maybe paint too)

Hello guys,

Well yesterday I went on a drive with some buddies so I wanted a quick car wash before hand. Went through an automated car wash that is either touchless or touch depending on how expensive the wash you buy. I did touch less and everything seemed fine until I got home and witnessed this mess.

It looks like the sprayer jets got so close to the bumper/hood it did some damage. The hood may be OK, as the clear bra sacrificed it’s life to protect the paint. The bumper however, has racing stripes on it now. It looks like the coat is completely gone but I don’t think it made it down to primer as there is still sparkle in the affected areas.

I talked to the manager of the gas station (I felt like a Karen asking for her) but the manager informed me the owner is out until tomorrow (Tuesday 10/19) and will have to call me then. She then said the owner probably won’t do anything which was frustrating to hear but that is a battle for another day.

Now, here are the points going against me. The paint is not oem. It was painted on by a hit or miss body shop 6 years ago. A good friend of mine told me paint doesn’t last forever and will become susceptible to damage especially with high power water jets.

So in closing my questions are:

1. Should I insist the owner repair my bumper through their insurance?

2. Can this be repaired without replacing the bumper?

3. If I put an 86 front end on my car, is my car still a BRZ?

TIA,
Steve

Pictures:

norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote