soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
I know a lot of farmers but I generally don’t ask them ab the workers’ citizenship status.

Don’t you think it’s a problem that there are those with 3-4 SSNs? Shouldn’t we do something ab it?

I’m not arguing for booting people out who are just trying to make a living. Im arguing that if people are wanting to roll out a system that will give citizens free healthcare, don’t you think we should have an effective immigration policies first. I do.
i can't find it any more, but there was an article 3-4 years ago, back when a lot of this immigration stuff was a really hot button topic about a farmer in a state that started enforcing all of the immigration stuff. it talked about how he was posting ad's everywhere, offering up to $16/hr to pick his produce(minimum wage at the time was something like $5-7/hr), but he couldn't get anyone but illegals to do it, and with the new enforcement at the time, he was looking at half to 3/4's of his crop going bad because no one would do the work.

at the time, i had a big conversation with a few other people about how we as americans are shifting our society away from hand-on jobs(a very critical part of the societal shift from a manufacturing society to a service society), where everyone wants to become a middle manager or better(in my research, this began during the Reagan administration, after his people came to the conclusion that we were falling behind china in education, and he started pushing for college education to what it's become today). it leaves a vacuum in the lower end of the workforce, that historically allows others in much worse positions to pull themselves up.

but because our immigration system has become a legal rats nest of red tape and bureaucracy that has made it almost impossible for anyone to get through the system without first having money to begin with(which they then typically shoot for the higher-paid positions, naturally), it only serves to further the manufacturing/hands-on gap, as less and less people are willing or able to step into those roles.

it's an interesting conversation, that eventually ends with "everything in moderation", and our current system weighs too heavily to the collegiate side to offer any alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
"Fix" racists first.
it's a historic "Us vs. Them." it will never be fixed. the divide will only grow larger as we all create and maintain deeper individual beliefs.
Irace86.2.0 (01-01-2021)