Old 12-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Love it when you all skip the part where I'm not talking about the physical damage, but what the codes mean and how they translate to what the driver is experiencing. Very obviously a sensor cannot affect steering position. What is clear is that a faulty angle sensor is a damaged part giving the wrong reading or a symptom of physical damage because the reading doesn't match the expected value given other sensors' readings.

Root cause analysis should be slow and steady. It doesn't matter if he punted it into a curb, we need to know what part failed after that unexpected event, and what other parts failed due to that, and so on. All we have is a batch of ECU codes and some pictures of the steering wheel, nothing on the suspension or steering mechanicals, so we have to work backwards. I specifically don't want to give the driver a hard time, otherwise they won't feel welcome to ask these questions when dealing with severe damage like this.

Diagnosis is not built on conjecture, and your entire post is just yelling that they ran into a curb. Yes, they did, and then they asked us to help after two shops gave him the runaround when he tried to "Fix obvious damage first" and now he's trying to "handle issues that aren't resolved after that."
Where does he say two shops gave him the run around? Where do you speak of physical damage beyond pinched or pulled wires and washing the car? Not in this thread that I can see, after scrolling through the posts list a few times on two devices just to see if I was going mad.

Quote:
Diagnosis is not built on conjecture
Diagnosis is built on being able to logically trace an effect to a cause. Ignoring chassis damage when searching for an ESP issue is not logical, the fact that something moved in the suspension and now the steering (and it's angle sensor) isn't pointed straight is not conjecture, it's an admitted fact.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if he punted it into a curb,
IT MATTERS A WHOLE DAMN LOT. I actually am having trouble containing my outrage that someone would type this out. It is infuriating.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote