Old 12-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #5763
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waifu_zn6 View Post
Thinking about installing this myself over the summer. Can anyone with experience tell me whats the difficulty on this install?

For reference, I've installed a header, front pipe, catback exhaust, and coilovers before. As for electronics, I've installed a headunit and a backup camera before.
I was pretty impressed with the kit, it has been refined over the years and contains everything you need (minus tools). If you're installing the oil cooler (JROC SC compatible version) at the same time (recommended) then you want to switch over to follow those instructions at the same time as it changes a few of the intercooler mounting instructions from the SC install.

The instructions are concise, and in hindsight say exactly what needs to be said. I would personally prefer more photos and a more verbose approach with additional tips that you would otherwise figure out on your own. Unfortunately too much information leaves more to be skipped or ignored so I understand why its trimmed to what it is. In hindsight, the instructions are solid, just read them very closely and comprehensively.

If you're comfortable working on/around the engine, its not bad at all. Download the manual from JR first and familiarize yourself with it to see if there's anything that feels out of your league. Make sure you have all the tools required, the oil cooler requires 27mm and 29mm sockets and wrenches which are oddballs for some. The "Special Tools Recommended" list is very, very handy to have on hand. (also Knipex pliers for general garage stuff, they're a little expensive but awesome and worth it, I used them many times during this install. I have a 6" and 12", Amazon has them).

You can never have enough zip ties. 4", 8", 12"... The kit includes a bunch, but then again I have a fetish for these little things... Extra body and bumper clips (various sized little round pop-button clips) are always handy, local Subaru dealer parts can get what you need.

Rerouting the valve cover vent line and the MAF wiring harness on the top of the engine is tight, so expect that to be awkward.

I used some clear silicone on the washer bottle fitments to ensure it doesn't leak.

Intercooler pipe fitment is pretty tight, they need to fit deep into the couplers and they damn near touch something on all sides as the route around the left and right sides of the bumper/headlight area. Keep the MAF piping section as low as reasonably possible and don't rotate MAF sensor tube forward to clear the hood liner, keep it right at 12 o'clock. Cut or remove the liner if there's clearance issues.

The IC couplers use typical screw-drive band clamps. Use a 7mm socket on low torque setting on a power drill if you want to drive them down faster. If you happen to "strip" one, its just the little housing deforming. I used 6" Knipex pliers to squeeze the housing a tad (don't crush it, the band still needs to fit in there) and tighten the crimp on the side just a tiny bit, viola, like new again.

On the supercharger itself, its easy to glaze over the diagram in the instructions and hook up the in/out oil lines backwards. All of the instructional photos are shown from the front looking aft as if you're standing in front of the car, however this CAD diagram is aft looking forward. The instructions call out 'in' and 'out', however it's not identified in a photo. I didn't see the thin "IN" and "OUT" engraving on the unit so looking at the diagram, assuming it was the same perspective, my lines went on backward, and resulted in an expensive test drive as I proceeded to sieze it into a $2300 paperweight. One panic attack, tow strap, and a phone call later, I had another unit on the way from JR. Don't do what I did.

I installed the oil cooler at the same time, and getting all the cooling lines
and IC piping through the driver side bumper/radiator area is tricky, but just take your time and you'll find a way to route things so they remain relaxed.

If you have the ability to take your time, do it and don't rush anything. If it takes you two weekends, just enjoy the bonding experience you and your car will share!

After install, be very cognizant of warmup when driving. If you're going with CSG's tuning, Zach's tune will warn you that you're driving too aggressively when the engine isn't ready (CEL or power cut). Keep the rpm moderate with mild throttle until temps are up, then have your fun. Zach is awesome, btw.

Last edited by wheelhaus; 04-12-2023 at 12:07 PM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
BatStig (01-16-2024), CSG Mike (12-20-2021), livingasleep (03-16-2022), mswbrz (12-23-2021), PulsarBeeerz (12-19-2021), superleggera (12-21-2021), waifu_zn6 (12-19-2021), zc06_kisstherain (12-22-2021)