BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
I guess this is how I'm rationalizing all of this, haha. Anyone wanna pitch in?
True, if you did in fact increase the surface area and the flow, that would explain why your IATs are "reacting" faster, ie the hot/cold air is hitting your sensor (I believe the IATs are measured from the MAP) faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
Yeah that was forseen by my tuners, and they told me I could not mess with the MAF sensor, so the sensor is exactly in the same place, i didn't touch that. The only thing I did was change the filter head. Everything else is eactly the same.

So i do not forsee any trouble with the AFR
I would still check it. If you are in fact increasing the flow, your MAF readings, and therefore fueling etc, will be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
- Keep an eye on the AFRs/fueling. It's likely that will change the MAF readings, by how much you'll have to test.

- It's unlikely that you're changing the amount of air that's going into the SC, so the pressure change inside the bay will be minimal/nothing.

- Make a heat shield under the intake, should help with IATs a little from heat from the radiator. The change in IATs is probably due to the flow of air through the filter more than anything else.
All very good points. I would almost suggest you stick with the previous air filter and just extend it with an elbow to point it farther away from the headers and closer towards the hole where the snorkel used to be (kinda like the JRSC layout). If you do go that route, heat shielding would still help.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote