Old 10-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Problem i see, that even such proper diagnosing what is wrong and what worth fixing, also needs consistency and experience from driver.
True to an extent, but any driver can improve both their driving and diagnostic skills by taking a deconstructive and methodical approach. Only the most talented learn how to play a piano on their own. The rest of us have to do exercises and scales, breaking it down to its fundamentals. That is what learning the 3 W's is. Isolating a very specific characteristic just by focusing on it. No different than a yoga instructor getting you to focus on your breathing for example.

Most drivers don't pay any attention to what the car is doing when on track. They instead focused on going as fast as possible, traffic, emotions. What helps is turning off the "go fast" part, forget traffic by pointing others by and not chasing anyone, turn off the emotional part (I suck!.. I'm great!) and just zero in on minute body motions and responses.

Example:
"OK when I release brakes on left turn entries, the car rotates freely. When I do the same on right turn entries, it understeers. Why would it turn left different than right. Mixed tires? Pressures way off? Corner weights messed up? Asymmetric shock settings?

Most drivers would not pay close enough attention to the left vs right thing and just report "It's unstable and unpredictable" when in fact its perfectly stable but only in right turns. This is what I mean by paying close attention. What it did (understeer/oversteer), where it did it (corner entry), when it did it (during brake release).

The point is, you and anyone else can teach yourself this skill. I wasn't born with it either. I taught myself.

Last edited by 949 Racing; 12-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
949 Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 949 Racing For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-24-2019), mistople (10-18-2019)