View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I don't intend to get in an accident or anything but I'm thinking about modified car insurance after hearing a horror story from a friend who's car was written off in a not-at-fault accident and his insurance company denied his claim on grounds of failing to disclose modifications to his car.

I've spent some time looking into it and each company has their own limits regarding approved modifications. Some like Statefarm were fine with strictly appearance modifications like lip kits and wheels, others, like TD, will disqualify a car for running aftermarket exhaust tips. Unfortunately, all of them said coilovers and big brakes are out so I've got a problem if I'm ever involved in an accident.

There is speciality insurance available for hot rods, classics and show cars from Haggerty or Lant but they won't work for me because they place too many restrictions to daily drive the car. The only thing I've found that will cover me is through Facility which I was quoted at $720/mo. For that much, I can get another car and insure that as a daily driver but I can't afford that either.

I'm weighing my options but looking to hear from other people who have experience or knowledge with this. Nearly everywhere else has affordable coverage options for modified cars, usually involving regular inspections but I haven't been able to find anywhere in Ontario that's cool with it.
What company was your friend with if you don't mind me asking? What kind of modifications did he have?
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote