Old 05-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrz View Post
Holy crap thanks for finding this info for me. I will likely be doing this, just gotta ask to tuner. Adjusting the plate position in conjunction with the catted front pipe should fix my overboosting issue according to the manual. Another dumb question would be, would the front pipe have to be HKS or just any other brand with a cat ie: invidia, avo, lachute, berk etc. Thanks a million!
No problem.

It sounds like your tuner attempted to do this mod, but maybe he didn't do it enough. Realistically, the mod won't change the top end much; it will make the biggest different in the mid-range, but that could be enough to protect things, if that is your concern.

The two graphs were comparing the stock frontpipe with a catless pipe, which in all likelihood, is also a larger diameter pipe. If you want the lowest possible torque then you would put the stock frontpipe back on and do the plate mod too. Any combination of larger diameter frontpipe or higher flowing catted front pipe will give you results that are between these two graphs. You could use any brand, but again, you can see the results from the catless frontpipe and no mod (highest torque/psi) and the catted frontpipe and plate mod (lowest torque/psi), so any frontpipe that is between those two extremes will be between those two torque/psi values, which may be not much different. Any catted frontpipe will likely be a larger diameter pipe than the stock frontpipe and the cat will be a high flow cat.

Personally, I would keep the stock frontpipe for emissions and noise reduction, but you may want to remove the cat for your own reasons like sound.

Your other option is to get a new internal wastegate with a lower spring like at say 8 psi, and then you could get a EBC to increase boost to anything you desired. You could do boost by rpm or boost by gear. Typically most EBC will do 2-3x the wastegate spring, so that would cover you beyond your needs. More money though.
Teseo (07-18-2023)