Old 03-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #79
chojuan30

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
custom SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
And it wasn't humble bragging, it was straight up bragging...lol. I'll be posting a build thread before too long. I'm in solidworks as we speak working on some components for it.

As to answering your question, the biggest cost difference would be the oiling for the turbo and the exhaust manifold and routing, which aren't necessary for a S/C.

I could fab the exhaust using the catless header I already have or even the stock header but it's still additional cost. Even for someone with my resources, it would still be closer to $1000 for a turbo setup.

Actually, I had already started to build a remote mount turbo when I still lived in Commufornia but I didn't want an electric oil pump so I was fabbing my own adapter for the wrx's oil return pump(the kit used on the existing turbo kit for our cars was over 500). I had gone a different route and was building a 4.6 ford to swap in and had taken the turbo out of the stock frs muffler and put it in my VR6 jetta but after realizing how cheap and easy it would be to add a S/C I detoured from the swap for the time being.

Now I should be only about a week from being finished. I just finished porting the S/C housing and am waiting for some aluminum to come in for mounting.

Now it helps that I had a spare engine and spare intake to modify for the supercharger so I saved money. I'll get into the details in the build thread. I think I'm going to take out the injectors and put them in my flow bench tomorrow since they've been sitting because my plan is to just use the intake as it was sitting with the fuel rails and injectors already in. That makes swapping back and forth like a 2 hour endeavor if I would want to do so.

I may take some pictures tomorrow to show some progress although my intention was to create the build thread after it was all said and done.

Jaden
Interested in this, as I am working on a custom SC setup.
chojuan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chojuan30 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (03-16-2021)