Old 11-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #831
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I hated the first gen base knobs. they were super duper cheap. Sure its functional but it looks like something taken out of a Yaris. Im not going to knock it for being a mechanical connection though so you feel the clunks of such a mechanical system. But overall It dumbed down the look of the interior for me.
Thats why i liked the dual HVAC knobs. Its still plasticky but less cheap feeling, but it made the icentre stack look a helluva lot better.

The 2nd gen knobs are still plasticky but they're big and they have a satisfyingly clickiness to its rotation giving it a more solid/sturdy feel to them.

But i must agree on the "everything is controlled by the ipad" situation that is taking over the car world. Its a horrible design decision. I had a honda fit with touch volume controls and it was a laggy POS. I hated it.

Hell even the touchscreen infotainment in the 2020 Head unit annoys me. Its especially irritating when the touch slider is used to scroll through the alphabet for quick search...and i can never hold it in place long enough to stay at a letter without having to take my eyes off the road.
When we ordered the wife's 22 Ascent it took so long to get there was a real probability of ending up with a 23. I thought that was cool at first since it had a few upgrades.
Then I saw this thing:

Notice the bottom of that screen? Yes, those are the HVAC controls. Not a knob or lever to be seen. Just touch sliders and you have to scroll through screens for most settings.
soundman98 (11-16-2022)