Old 11-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #146
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Nor was the person who collected/presented the data. I remember initially being impressed. Since then, I can only think about how slight changes to the experiment would yield vastly tighter curves, and how stupid it was to display the oil cooler data using the same function. It's still pressure as a function of engine speed as a function of temperature. Adding the oil cooler just limited the temperature range of the data taken.

You are the clever one to see head loss contributed by the oil cooler. OP never intended it. Total accident.

And, yes, absolutely worth knowing.
Yes, I agree. The oil cooler data pretty much becomes useless in the context you describe it in, other than the fact noted by by ZDan, which does give it some use in our discussion. That pressure loss becomes pretty important when you can see in the data that it is comparable to a 0W-20 with the use of 5W-30 oil. It gives him a fighting point for why it may be a better idea to go up in weight of oil rather than spend a bunch of money on an oil cooler and inherit some risks if you go cheap, or mess up in the process, or have a defect.

Well anyways, this subject has been beaten to death as always, and I think a lot of good points were covered. I think the rest of it is a waiting game to see what other results/data people can provide.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
ZDan (11-21-2020)