CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC86 View Post
Just also wanted to comment on this...

No matter which organizer you go with, even SPDA or OTA, there will always be people that are new to the sport.

The distinguishing factor when I decide to participate, is how each organizer deals with safety.

OTA and SPDA events have what I think is required to have a safe event. They have volunteer marshals at every event, and enough marshals at various locations and turns at each track. I recall an event with OTA where there was a newbie M5 driver that just wouldn't do any point-bys. It took a couple of laps, but eventually they flagged him off the track.

OTA have been around for a while, and they have the experience.

They have safety meetings before the day begins, and even another one after lunch break.

I've attended other events organized by others where there is non of this. Perhaps they had one marshal, but that was it. I wasn't even participating, the whole point of attending the event was to see how they ran it to determine their safety level. Well worth the time to investigate.

While it is unfair to blame the organizers for the actions of a few individuals, I believe it is the duty of the organizers of a track event to emphasize safety, and to effectively enforce safety rules on track. OTA and SPDA certainly addresses this.

I can't comment on the Northerrn Stars, or the TMP incident, but I think something like this would be very unlikely at an SPDA or OTA event. I mean, what I saw in those videos was just insane.

Alan C
110% agreed. It's why I do what I do.

The organizers have to take some responsibility for their customers. It reflects poorly on them when they don't.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote