Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Where are you at in Ohio?

I went down this route long and hard. Back when I had a BMW 128i my codriver nailed a concrete cinder block that was holding timing equipment at Nationals in Lincoln Nebraska. We damaged a eccentric bolt and caused the LR wheel to toe in 1/2". If we didn't decide to tow out there, I don't know how I'd drive that thing home 14 hours.

After that, went through and decided that a dedicated truck (that doubles as a winter car) and trailer is ultimately the best for my uses and what I wanted going forward.

So, there is no "best" answer. If you're willing to accept and pay $200 out of pocket to get your car home then that's what will have to happen. Also I'd recommend looking into Hagerty or Lockton Motorsport for HPDE Insurance as an extra safety barrier. Sure, added cost but also could help avoid total burden cost if you have a total loss.

Hope to see you out at Mid-Ohio or Pitt Race this year. I'll be at those 2 tracks a lot...
I'm in Cincinnati.
Putnam Park - 149 mi
Mid-Ohio - 167mi
NCM - 210mi

I've looked into Hagerty, for track day insurance, and would definitely get it anyway, but they don't have any details about adding the towing supplement on. I wonder if adding that to the insurance package would be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Uhaul truck and trailer

Local towing operation may be cheaper than AAA, I'd just pay the AAA fee to not think about it too hard. Pay to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Get AAA plus, 100 mile towing...
Broke driveshaft in LS3 FD at Palmer, had it AAA towed 98 miles to Peabody MA for zero $$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
When my friend's car started spewing oil on the track, he called a flatbed to tow it to a local shop. I gave him a ride home.

Triple A plus sounds like a good option as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I factor potential tow bill as a risk to playing. The primary tracks I go to are 180ish miles away. I try to mitigate the risk by carrying parts that I have seen fail. I usually roll with an extra CV, extra front hub, and extra accessory belt along with some spare fluids.
Thanks for all the responses!

AAA is definitely the best bet for me personally, and $200 really isn't too bad of a price. I like the idea of pre-budgeting for it.

Please continue to throw out ideas though in case someone in the future has the same questions with different circumstances.