Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by df.dima View Post
I'm confused as to what they do with NA vs Turbo engines, but Average Toyota/Lexus buyer wouldn't care about under the curve.

I have this observation - own 16 RX, ~290/260?, porky curb weight. Was given NX loaner, ~235/258?, I'm thinking it must be a few lbs less than RX.
Yet with all that equivalent torque + lower weight, NX just felt underwhelming in acceleration. Not sure what it got under the curve, but RX feels a whole lot more meaty, even though C&D ranks them near identical in 0-60. I truely love the 3.5 2GR and I think its a huge benefit that they use it in Toyota lineup, assuming its near identical with the 8AT, its a pleasure in a family vehicle.

They also do this weird crap with IS engines where they detune between IS300 and 350...

Its a weird, extremely conservative and distinctively Japanese way to resolve problems lol. Somehow it seems to meet their needs/business.

So far it looks like in Lexus lineup they get turbo 4 starter, 2GR mid-range and the top dogs get the new 3.5 twin turbo im assuming will be trickling down to range topping/sporty models as needed.
For Toyota they get the tiny shit lumps for small cars whatever those gas sippers are, the inline 4 basic engines and the 3.5.
While everyone else is dropping their NA v6s in favour of meaty boosted 4s.

Still confused
Yeah that is pretty interesting about the NX turbo feeling underwhelming. Wonder if the transmission is poorly programmed. That's a common complaint with that engine in the IS200. Or as you say, could be the 2GR is just a really good NA engine.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote