View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #15
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah definitely strange. I read somewhere that Toyota thinks it can be "competitive" with its NA engines (in terms of power) vs. other competitors' turbo engines. I think that's correct just looking at peak HP numbers, but area under the curve shows a different story. Hard to match the low/midrange punch of a small turbo.
I'm confused as to what they do with NA vs Turbo engines, but Average Toyota/Lexus buyer wouldn't care about under the curve.

I have this observation - own 16 RX, ~290/260?, porky curb weight. Was given NX loaner, ~235/258?, I'm thinking it must be a few lbs less than RX.
Yet with all that equivalent torque + lower weight, NX just felt underwhelming in acceleration. Not sure what it got under the curve, but RX feels a whole lot more meaty, even though C&D ranks them near identical in 0-60. I truely love the 3.5 2GR and I think its a huge benefit that they use it in Toyota lineup, assuming its near identical with the 8AT, its a pleasure in a family vehicle.

They also do this weird crap with IS engines where they detune between IS300 and 350...

Its a weird, extremely conservative and distinctively Japanese way to resolve problems lol. Somehow it seems to meet their needs/business.

So far it looks like in Lexus lineup they get turbo 4 starter, 2GR mid-range and the top dogs get the new 3.5 twin turbo im assuming will be trickling down to range topping/sporty models as needed.
For Toyota they get the tiny shit lumps for small cars whatever those gas sippers are, the inline 4 basic engines and the 3.5.
While everyone else is dropping their NA v6s in favour of meaty boosted 4s.

Still confused
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote