View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #809
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just for better context (instead of me just eyeballing things), I measured my pads. I didn't measure them all and average them because they looked like they wore evenly enough to not get crazy with measurements. I did this because I reconsidered my visual estimates, forgetting that these pads are pretty thick new.

The fronts pads have 13 mm left and the rears have 8 mm left. The fronts originally came with 0.8 inches, which is 20.32 mm, and the rears originally came with 0.49 inches, which is 12.44 mm, so the fronts have about 64% pad left and the rears have about 64% pad left.

As for mileage, the brakes were installed in late summer of 2016 when I had a little over 50k miles on the car, and now I have a little less than 80k miles, so roughly 30k miles on the pads. Most of the miles were commuting. I commute 3-5 miles to work in one direction 3-4 days/week (I work twelves in a hospital), which isn't much. I commuted 1.5 hours away twice a week for school for a year. I have done a few road trips like 1000 miles to Disneyland and such things. My daily driving style is aggressive. The car has seen dozens of canyon days.

I don't know how long normal pads would last in a normal car with normal sized brakes. A Google search says most brake pads are 10-12 mm and should be replaced around 3-4 mm, which typically occurs around 50k miles. Given normal driving, I would imagine the BP10s on an upgraded brake system would last longer, even if the pads weren't so thick. Meaning, the fronts have gone through 6-7 mm and the rears have gone through 4-5 mm, which is about on par for a normal pad seeing about half it's life or more.

In short, it seems that these upgraded pads on the upgraded brake system lasted about on par to a normal driver/car, even if I was driving more aggressively. The front pads have a slightly longer shelf life because of the extra thickness, so I should expect more mileage in total, but the wear characteristics are inline with typical driving, even though the system is an upgrade, which suggests to me that the brake system conserved some brake wear from my aggressive driving.

Maybe someone else could give their two cents. Compared to a stock system and pad, an upgraded pad will last longer with normal driving, but with aggressive driving, it greatly depends. I would imagine the 1521s on a normal brake system with my driving style would likely see less than 50k miles. I could imagine them being stretched to 50k miles with the larger caliper/rotors, but not as long as the BP10s lasted.