Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
^^ THIS ^^^

There seems to be a fair amount of confirmation bias/psychological investment from the current owners. As you say it is hardly confined to the BRZ/86 though - the Corvette forums were awash with enthusiasts that insisted the car was ruined by the departure from round tail lights...

The meaningless samples of people I know that are in to cars but do not own a twin are all quite positive on the new model. I would love to see real data.

Time will tell which model is viewed as being better - someone was mentioning in one of these threads about the saga of the Mustang design; looking back with decades of perspective the "best" design appears strongly corollated to age group or someone's first.

I remain very interested in seeing the new design in person and driving it!
I’ve said before, I hope it sells like hot cakes, and I’m glad it exists. I just think it looks bad. It’s not because I own a ‘17, it’s because I think the new car is ugly. Would never have bought the new car, or even considered it, just based on the styling. But others hopefully will and I think that’s great. Doesn’t mean I have confirmation bias/psychological investment in the old car. Just means only to ME, I think the new car looks bad, like real bad, but that’s only to MY eye. I get that. You guys who like it should get that too. This isn’t an I’m right you’re wrong, or vice versa issue.
I used to be into Camaros. I’ve owned 3 1969s, including a Z28, three 1978s, two of which were Z28s, and a 1985 IROC Z. As I got older, I got more interested in small Japanese cars that handled well, and mostly moved on to them. My point is that I thought all three initial generations of the Camaro were good looking cars. I voted with my wallet and bought a few. My first was a 1978 Z28, but for me the best looking were the ones I bought later, the ‘69s. I buy based primarily on looks, and how a car handles, not how much power a car has. A monkey can mash a gas pedal, and no matter how quick your car is, there are always quicker ones, close by and in your city or town. But if a car is set up to handle really sweetly, it’s fun as hell, even if others are faster around a track somewhere.
And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, all of the above musings are just MY OPINION about what suits ME. Your results may vary.
Time will indeed tell which car is viewed better. That said I’ve got 10 bucks all day that says the first gen car goes down as the superior car from a styling perspective. The new car may well go down as the superior performance car, but that remains to be seen.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willpower For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (12-06-2020), StE92ve (12-07-2020), Vides990 (12-06-2020)