View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
DTMdreaming

Drives: 13' Raven FR-S 6 sp-Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Helpful DIY Spark plug change video

This video is very helpful. If you want to change your spark plugs the easy way.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Uc729u4Lg"][Re.Boot] FRS UPDATE | How to change spark plugs SCION FR-S BRZ GT86 DIY - YouTube[/ame]

After hearing the dealers price of nearly $500, I decided to just do it after work one night.

I was able to complete the job in around 2 hours, but had to go inside because of the rain about 3 times. So next time I will aim for about an hour.

I used 2x scissor jacks up front, followed by 2x jack stands.
Go ahead first thing and take off the air intake plastic housing, you can leave the duct work, no need to remove it.
Then take the metal skid plate off, I have the OEM exhaust manifold and I did not need to remove it, so don't worry about that. take off the motor mount bolts, jacked up one side of the engine, (driver side), perform the spark plug change. then lower that side down and jack up the passenger side and repeat the process.

I removed the Injector ECU which is 3x 10mm bolts, moved it aside, changed that sides plugs, (passenger) and reinstalled injector ecu, then you just lower the engine back down and put your bolts back on the motor mounts. You are really just tilting the engine more than anything. Be sure to watch for clearance as you tilt little by little to be sure you are not hitting/wedging anything against the wheel well.

You will need:
12mm socket
10mm socket
14mm spark plug socket
3 inch extension bar 3/8
3/8 ratchet
1/4 ratchet
Bottle jack
and of course 4 spark plugs
FT86 speed factory has them on sale.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/toyo...l#.WI5S91UrKUk

next time I will try to do my own video, but with the darkness and rain it would have been difficult to film.

Last edited by DTMdreaming; 01-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
DTMdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DTMdreaming For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (06-14-2020), Dadhawk (09-23-2020), hmong337 (02-04-2017), Imperius (02-11-2017), Kicker18 (02-21-2018), radroach (01-30-2017)