View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #42
UNREAL

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86 GT (Auto)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
AT has about 2% more drivetrain loss or roughly 18% vs 16%. Drift office baselines where 164whp vs 168whp, It does appear they make peak power at the same rpm but for some reason the AT does drop off quicker after. Not sure why this would be, maybe something in the tune and can be tuned out. Mine doesn’t feel like it has such a noticeable drop off if any. My tuner also changed a lot of things with the AT. But i have never dynoed to know for sure if I know longer have this drop off.

The biggest difference is MT can launch, and 3-4-5 gears are essentially our 3-4 gears so mt has much closer gearing. Without launching they are almost identical 0-60 though, then the gearing the MT ever so slowly crawls away. A FD swap can mitigate some of the gearing disadvantage. Also the auto has been known to hold up to a lot more power then the MT.

Either way modifying either MT or AT car will yield roughly the same benefits.
I was under the same impression that an AT can handle way more power... Unfortunately that isn't entirely true, nor the facts are very positive at all...

Our AT is called A960e, it is used in the IS250 and several other cars, and the max torque it can handle is 300nm/221ft⋅lb Only!*
The other issue is that the options to beef it up is almost none existing.

Reference
* https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forum...rbox-strength/
(go to the post by a member named Leeky)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
UNREAL is offline   Reply With Quote