View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #108
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Have read as much as I could to understand it better, but was looking for a little feedback to warm my heart. Currently running 0W-20 on my stock 2018 BRZ. Will soon be monitoring oil temperature and other information through Torque App. In the mean time I have used the oil temperature reading the car provides. I have consistently heard/seen that the peak temperatures for 0W-20 should be no more than 225-235F. In my case, I tend to do moderate to somewhat aggressive street driving when given the right conditions. Overall, my temps seem to float around 210F. When cruising to work on the other hand (about 1 to 1.5 hours of driving), I run around 65-75 mph. At higher constant speeds, sometimes the oil temperature will center out between 190-270, which would be right around the 230 mark. This can hold constant for a while as I am running the same speed. This hasn't really changed with the warmer or cooler temperatures much, I have never seen the oil temp go above that, so I'm not worried about that (yet). I'm more curious if I am safe to be running this oil grade at that temperature? I know there are many factors, but just wanted a little feedback.

I run Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20. Should I just stick to it or consider going 0W-30 or 5W-30? Would that help put me in a safer spot? One thing I haven't quite been able to determine from all the reading is where the safe oil pressure level is (in terms of the low end). Based on the data from the OP, my oil pressure may be hanging a little low in the 230F range. 5W-30 might help fix this problem, but then there's a teeny bit more wear on the cold starts. Thoughts?

Does any of this even matter since I am only cruising on a highway and not sprinting around with high variation in RPM's? Should I not be worried at all?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

P.S.
If the oil I am using sucks, let me know. I am mainly trying to stick to a cheap/average priced oil since I do 3000-5000 mile oil changes and DD the car and want it to last.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote