Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #128
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thanks for the post, Tristor. I did not call you a liar. Lying requires malicious intent, and I believe your intent was to be honest and helpful. Please do not take that personally, as it was not intended that way. I simply seek truth, and believe what you wrote (specifically the part I quoted) to be inaccurate.
I believe you had the experience as stated. It sounds frustrating and I wish you didn't have to experience that. I cannot explain why you experienced what you did.
I have only used two compounds with my Sprint kit. They are Hawk HPS and DTC-60. The HPSes don't squeal on the street, and the DTC-60s don't squeal on the track. I'd driven other 86s with the same brake kit using different pads, but cannot tell you specifically which compounds other than DS2500s, which were quiet on the track.
Plenty of other people around here use the Sprint kit on the street daily without noise. I wish I could tell you why your experience was different, but just can't.
I stand by my statement that the Sprint kit should be quiet on the street regardless of J-hooks.

I have not tried any Hawk branded compounds on this brake kit. I've used them on prior vehicles in the past and found that the dust damaged my wheels so I've avoid them since. The compounds I have ran on this kit (between street and track) are: Carbotech 1521, Carbotech XP10, Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo DS1.11, and CSG Spec C2. You say the Ferodo DS2500 is quiet during street driving. That was not my experience, and there's a thread from way back in 2013 that is literally all about the fact DS2500s are noisy on the Sprint BBK.

Part of the issue /is/ bedding, that is, you can bed in the rotors but even with street compounds the transfer layer doesn't stay. Part of this, best I can gather, has to do with the effect of the J-hook on the pads themselves. Even strictly street compounds are impossible to keep bedded if you're doing any significant street mileage. On track only, it's true that the Sprint BBK quiets down by session #2 of the day due to improved bedding, however it never gets silent even under hard track use. To be clear, I also have friends locally running DS2500 on stock calipers and it makes no noise. But on the Sprint BBK, it's a different story.

I'll recommend the next owner try the Hawk pads. But for me, I am very happy with having much larger rotors/more thermal mass and the elimination of noise that came from switching BBKs (with the same compound I just ran down over 4 months in my Sprint BBK, bedded following the same procedure mind you). I wish my experiences with the Sprint BBK were as positive as yours, but all that said, I still really loved it on track. I think it's a very performant product, it's just not very neighbor/girlfriend-friendly.

In the thread above, someone said "After having mine installed now (1521). I think the problem is more the rotors.
Mine are perfectly silent now until you make 2 or more hard stops and then they start squealing horribly until they cool down again."

This describes my experience on street perfectly. My AP Racing Sprint BBK would be quiet with street pads pulling out of my garage, to the end of my street, and to the end of the main neighborhood road. But would make noise when I stopped the second time at the light. By the time I got to the next light on my way to the highway they'd be at full squeal, worsening for the next 2 normal stops until they were ear-splitting for the remainder of the drive, including all the way back into my garage. I started engine braking + using my e-brake to park my car because my neighbors wrote a letter of complaint to the city and I got a notice of noise violation from the police. This is WITH a good transfer layer which can be visually seen on explicitly street pads.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote