View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #16
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have/had a similar garage as you are considering to have, OP.
Have a heavy-ish 1JZ-VVTi/R154 swapped MK3 Supra, stock power right now so 276hp/280tq.
Have a '16 FR-S also.

I had a '20 Supra for about 2 1/2 years. I would have kept it but among other, let's say "reasons", I ultimately decided to sell it knowing the manual Supra and GR Corolla were coming in '23 model year, plus the GR 86 was going to have a special edition. Couldn't get the GR Corolla, so the choice was another Supra but manual, and the new 86. I decided to just get a base 86 and don't regret it, even though I have 1st and 2nd gen now.

2nd is better in most ways, and you wouldn't be disappointed coming from your experience driving the 1st gen.

For daily, tbh the Supra was surprisingly good. Maybe having a modified FR-S with all sorts of noises and special needs like e85 made me prefer driving the Supra, but it was real comfortable to just get in and go. Gets a lot of attention though even the black color I had, can't imagine if it was red or yellow. But I've revved it in sport mode at many parking lots at request of others.
Space-wise though, it's fine for a couple and maybe 1 dog. Yes the Supra has a larger opening due to being a hatch, but the trunk is akwardly shaped. Practically speaking, a seat-down 86 will haul much more any day of the week.
In my FR-S, at different times I've hauled 8ft 4x4 posts & 6 ft fence panels, 4 wheels and 4 tires separated, a 55" TV, 3 dogs, and with the front seat removed a 29 gal Air compressor, and a bottom 27" tool box.

Now that I don't have the '20 Supra, when I have a need for the gas pedal to actually listen to me, I drive the MK3.
No but seriously, the driving experience of the 86, 1st or 2nd gen is great, maybe better than both Supras. Haven't really tracked the 2nd gen yet or taken it on any good roads, only have about 600 miles on it, but I have about ~100K miles on my FR-S. Maybe it's just my skill level showing here, because I never really pushed the Supra as hard as the FR-S on curvy back roads and definitely not in the canyons, always felt it had too much and could quickly escalate into me at the bottom of the mountain. Whereas for being both a daily and "having my sports car on the road trip", the FR-S/86 is perfect to me. Enough space for 2 w/luggage, comfortable enough for the journey, put the seats all the way back to sleep at the rest stop(unlike the Supra due to the bar), and still have a car you can go all out on the fun roads.

By the way, read up on some topics here, you won't be "voiding" the warranty simply by getting a brake kit.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote