Old 02-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #489
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If you go through the pages of this thread, you will find a lot of conversation about the exodus from California from companies to individuals. Specifically, Elon Musk was used as a reference for someone who wants to get away from taxes and regulations, but here he is calling for a regulation for higher carbon taxes. Yes, I get why that would favor his business model and why it would be good for getting us to a carbon neutral future, so I was just being snarky in reference to those earlier debates.
Oh I know, I see comments like this on a weekly basis.

If where I lived was purely about how much I pay in taxes, I'd move out of the US entirely. Plenty of places in the world where I can pay nothing in taxes.

What people fail to understand is that some companies move because they are trying to be more efficient (Toyota), and some other companies move because another state (TN) bent over backwards to get a company (Nissan) to move.

People forget that the Japanese car companies established their roots in California because back in the 1960/70/80s, airlines still needed to refuel in Hawaii or Alaska to fly to the US. Nonstop flights did not start until longer range 747-400s or 767/777s were introduced, and even those aircraft could not go from Tokyo to Chicago or Dallas without refueling somewhere. Add on the abundance of a large Japanese American population, and it was easy for Japanese car companies to be based in Southern California since it made doing business easier.

As these companies became more global, there was less incentive for them to stay here. Add on the fact that most of their automotive plants are in the midwest US, and it simply makes better business sense to relocate their HQ to someplace central in the US.

But you know, "regulations"
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-14-2021), soundman98 (02-13-2021)