View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #260
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Initial Learning Values

I thought @Ultramaroon would get a kick out of this discovery.

But me let retrace my steps.

Before I discovered the timing chain tooth issue, I had flashed my ECU back to a stock map, but I accidentally chose a different OEM map than the one my tuned-map is based on. When I reflashed back to my tuned map I noticed one of the learning values (Bank 2 EX) was different - it was now 68.

So now I'm at the race weekend and while the engine is running great, I'm still getting get a CEL, because one of my learning values is wrong - I keep getting P0019 despite the engine running properly. My OCD wouldn't let me ignore it so I pulled up ECUTek again remembering that it was map flashing that made that value change.

So this time I flashed to a 2016 BRZ map that ECUtek said was compatible:

I went from JA01C to JF04C, then back to my tuned JA01c map. Then I saw this in Techstream:

NO MORE CODES! Car ran great and I won the race from 4th place on Sat!

Everything I've read on the internet says "You can't reset the VVT Initial Learning Values"!! But I have proven that you can! You just have to flash to an entirely different stock map, then back. Flashing back to the stock map my tune was based on (Stock version of JA01C) DID NOTHING. The tune files MUST be different versions.

The driver in the Black RX8 was Mr. Oscar Jackson Jr. who was very fast as always but most importantly - VERY CLEAN. On Sunday he went mirror-to-mirror with myself and then with Hayai through T1-T4. I look forward to racing against Oscar again. He forced us ALL to step up our game and all 4 of us were in the 1:54's on Sunday!

I love racing
Autoxer62 (04-11-2022), CrowsFeast (05-05-2022), DocWalt (04-11-2022), doward (08-09-2023), Kelse92 (04-11-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-12-2022), Ultramaroon (04-11-2022)