Old 04-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #254
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think you are on the right track. Nothing else stands out as obvious to me. Possibly check valve lash again. I remember there seemed to be a rash of cars around 18-19' that where triggering this and supposedly the issue was valves out of spec. I will have to see if I can find the threads on it again. I don't see how valve lash would affect it but I guess it could be possible.
Well, the plot thickens.

While the new engine (Engine A) had to come out and go on the engine stand, I figured I'd put the spare engine (Engine B) back in the car. After all I didn't get any codes with and did all my races in California with it so my thought was to put it back in and go racing this weekend.

WRONG.

I fired up Engine B last night guess what! SAME EXACT CODE AND SYMPTOM. P0019.

So I thought the problem with Engine A was the plugged oil passage to the cam sprocket which is why it's on an engine stand right now. But getting the same exact code on Engine B suggests it's not: Oil passage, Sprocket, Sensor or OCV.. then WTF could it be?

After scouring the interwebs I find this: https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...oblems.504735/

Apparently our Bulkhead plug is the same as the subaru outback which the person in that thread had a problem with a pin making connection causing a fault with his O2 sensor. Considering the OBD2 plugs on 86s are a known problem with bad pins, and this person diagnosed a bad pin on his bulkhead connector I decided to open it up and look at the pins.

YUP - they are a shit design where the "ramp" in the pin don't have a spring back function and after male end is connected enough times the ramp remains in the a depressed position creating a "Hotdog in a Hallway" effect.

In the one pic below I highlight in Green the pins I have removed and reset the ramp and I highlight in red the ones I have not yet done and you can see how it possible the male prong may not be making ideal contact with some of these pins. We'll find out tonight if this solves the issue.

Progress so far

While I love my "toyota", I have determined that I will never own another subaru engine car so long as I live. Admittedly I have probably been spoiled by owning/working on Honda engines for so many years, so there's that.
itschris (04-07-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-07-2022), RedReplicant (04-11-2022), Takumi788 (04-13-2022), timurrrr (04-07-2022)