Thread: New BRZ vs Z
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #275
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think I get where you guys are coming from, and certainly respect the enjoyment that completely manual shifting brings to some. I hadn't owned a manual since I sold my '78 280Z for the '13 BRZ, but was glad that I knew how to drive one when we went to Europe in 2019 on vacation and all the rental cars were manuals.

When it comes to paddle shifters, it also depends on the car and transmission, and the programming. Our Subaru Outback has paddle shifters, but it's a CVT so it doesn't really 'change gears' like the BRZ and it's a totally different feel. The BRZ in sport mode doesn't really change gears when I want it to for canyon driving, so use the paddle shifters around 90% of the time, even on the street.

I have a 2020 C8 Corvette which has a DCT, and that's also a different feel from the auto BRZ. The C8 has quite a few different modes that change when the shifts occur, and track mode is really good, but even so I like to use the paddle shifters. When I attended the Ron Fellows Corvette Owner's school at Spring Mountain, all driving for the 5 track sessions was done in manual mode using the paddle shifters. With the DCT, you can 'declutch' by holding both paddles back (as if you're pressing down on the clutch pedal), and release them to do a burnout, like popping the clutch. But, it's either engaged or disengaged with the paddle shifters, so you can't feather the clutch. There are some other cool features like holding down the 'down' paddle when braking and approaching a turn and it will downshift to the lowest possible gear to keep the revs up.

So, while autos aren't exactly the same as using the clutch pedal, not all of them are the same, and some offer some pretty cool features. But, to get the thread back on track, it really is good to have choices. Nowadays, the key word is 'performance', and for most manufacturers, the auto is the way to maximize that (looking at acceleration or track times). A manual may be more 'fun' and engaging, but usually that will be at the sacrifice of those performance times.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (07-13-2021), Red-86 (07-14-2021), timurrrr (07-13-2021)