Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 PM   #559
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, my almost 93 year old father passed of Covid19 today.

He lived in what I'd consider an upscale senior's home in a nice area in North Toronto and there was a rash of infections there over the last several weeks. I never expected him to be a victim.

We figured he had a few more years in him yet, but every few months he would take a fall and need to get patched up by the one of the staff there. On Dec 26 he got up to see the person who we had assist him showering and as he got up he fell and ended up with a nosebleed that didn't stop. He was taken to the hospital and they made sure there was no head injury before he was released and returned.

I called him the morning of Dec 29 and he could barely breathe and there was already an attendant in his room. When I asked him to put her on the phone she hung up on me. Anyway he was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed with Covid 2 days later and was looking like he was going to be ok. Then more 2 days later he wasn't getting sufficient oxygen saturation and from there things went from 50/50 to dire.

It makes me sad that he left us before he would have otherwise and that I only saw him a few times this year. Before the pandemic I saw him weekly, often with my son who is now 13. I was the only one in the family that saw him in the hospital, then unconscious, and I was in full PPE as specially arranged with them.

We will never know how or when he caught it, whether it was the trip to the hospital or the people that assisted him with medications, brought meals, cleaners.

I only hope this tragedy teaches us how to better mitigate situations regarding contagion in the future. Apparently 48% of respondents in a huge poll admitted to gathering beyond prescribed over the holidays.

I hope greater public education in the future makes a difference.

How is it unavoidable for people working in a home of 200 age 80+ people cant avoid getting infected and passing it? Or how could ambulance operators take someone to an emergency be unable to keep a 92 year old safe? Things I'd best leave for now.

Sadly they emailed us that they were started vaccinations today where my dad lived.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2021), bcj (01-12-2021), Dadhawk (01-12-2021), humfrz (01-12-2021), Irace86.2.0 (01-11-2021), NoHaveMSG (01-13-2021), soundman98 (01-12-2021), spike021 (01-12-2021), Spuds (01-12-2021)