View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Elmacanite

Drives: 2013 FRS Base, Whiteout, 6-Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Differences in driving feel/mechanical issues w/different clutch types?

Okay so first off, if this is the wrong place for this please redirect it appropriately, but I think I'm good.

Here goes...

Looking to replace the factory clutch soonish (2013 Base FRS w/67k miles) and I already had to replace the throwout bearing when it seized a few months ago (didn't have money for clutch kit at the time or would have done it then), and I was wondering about the differences between some different types of clutches on the market.

1. While I do not require a twin disc for any power reasons as I am still NA with a full exhause, TRD intake, and an OFT tune, I haven't ever driven a car with a twin disc clutch and am curious if it would affect the driveability at all, or if it would just make a mostly factory FRS less fun to drive.

2. Again, no super power mods, but I do plan to save up and drop some forced induction into it within a few years time (full rebuild with forged goodies and head work happening when that does come around), so would it be worth my while to spring for a beefier clutch NOW or wait and just upgrade it when it's time to do the turbo/supercharger installation?
2a. What would be the differences between running a sprung or unsprung disc in terms of how the clutch operates and how it would make the pedal feel under both normal daily driving and track days? I've only ever replaced "like with like" when I've done any clutch work before and I honestly haven't got a clue on which one would be better for a mostly daily driven car that I plan to AutoX VERY occasionally and maybe throw in a track day here and there.

3. I know that Exedy is a good bet for basically everything, and I've used their products in the past with zero issues, but does anyone have any experiences with the other available brands regarding the change in driving feel (with or without a lightweight flywheel), and whether or not it's recommended to swap out to a lightweight crank pulley when installing a lightened flywheel to keep the weight on the crank more closely balanced instead of having a heavier load on one end or the other?

While I won't be pulling the trigger on parts for at least a few months in any case (I'm not rich...gotta save that dough), I do appreciate any and all input that anyone can offer, even if it's "You're an idiot, just get an OEM kit and be done with it"

Thanks in advance!
Elmacanite is offline   Reply With Quote