Old 07-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #898
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
With an EV as a daily I would be willing to pay a premium to keep my ICE toys running too.
Is the fuel exclusive to Porsche owners? How do they distribute it? In drums or at exclusive pumps/stations?

Quote:
“Synthetic fuels offer attractive prospects across transportation sectors, from the automotive industry to the aviation and shipping sectors.”

“Our global plan is to produce over 8 billion litres a year of carbon-neutral eFuels – enough to decarbonise five million vehicles,” HIF Global CEO Cesar Norton said at the announcement.
For perspective, Australia used $56 billion litres of fuel in 2019, and this factory wants to do 100 million litres per year, so Australia would need 560 factories to replace all of the fuel and enough green power facilities to run them. To do the 8 billion a year that they plan would be 80 factories and the needed renewables to support them.

The fuel will be dependent on the price of renewables plus the cost of manufacturing and cost for exclusive distribution, and they might have to compete with demand from industries that depend more on eFuel than recreational use, especially if the governments prioritize shipping vehicles over sports cars, for instance. I’m not saying it isn’t going to happen or be possible, and I’m sure Porsche owners putting 2k miles on their car per year will be fine paying $20+/gal like you said.