Old 08-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #98
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
If you have the OEM header on there, remember that you have an 80,000 mile extended emissions warranty. You can bring the car in to the dealership and get it replaced for free.

That's true, but at this point I'd think he might have the modding bug, might be well enough to just upgrade it and get the torque dip tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A quick check shows that NJ stopped sniffer tests two years ago. A tune would be the answer for the code.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/tailpipe.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
You guys use a sniffer for smog? If I remember this thread correctly you bought a used car with headers on it? A sniffer will know if your cats are deleted. If they just check obd then you'll be fine since you won't have any codes. If you are gonna have to swap components for smog regularly, I suggest you learn to do it yourself or it's gonna get pretty spendy. And some shops may turn you away because of the legality of installing/swapping non street legal parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
No issues with emissions tests after?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Just get it tuned and turn that shit off
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Man time really flies... I made this thread about 3 years ago / I'm approaching 3 years of ownership...

I am still intermittently getting the P0420 code - it usually comes on stays for a while and then leaves - but I feel as though it's been staying on longer recently and I'm anxiously waiting to see if it'll go away on its own again (could temperature have something to do with this?).

I''ll probably opt to go to a shop in the next month or two as I am up for inspection in December - but assuming no exhaust leaks and that the catalytic converter is fine (I haven't noticed any signs of either, no hissing noises, fuel efficiency seems fine, acceleration is fine) - what is there that I can really ask them to do aside from installing a spacer?
Just ask them to check the car out and tell them you've been getting the emissions code. Could be a bad O2 sensor or cat at this point or possibly last owner had a dodgy tune?

I personally would suggest you install a UEL header or EL header and get a OFT tune at this point. If as you said you still have the ark exhaust it may be pretty loud though, and require a different cat-back all together if you're worried about drone and attracting attention. But you'd, as someone else said, get rid of the emissions nonsense if your state doesn't do sniff testing a tune will hide the lack of CAT pretty well. Here in PA we do OBD-II inspection and "visual" inspection and mines past for the last 3 years
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-29-2018)