View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Racecomp Engineering Yellow Springs Review

I'd just like to start by saying that I'm reviewing this product completely independently and have no connections to RCE or any other parts manufacturer.
This is a comparison against stock BRZ springs. My BRZ is on stock size Michelin Pilot Super Sports for reference.

The GOOD:
Rides just like the car should have from the factory. When paired with a superior alignment (namely increased negative camber in the front) the car is much more confidence inspiring. The drop of just under one inch looks great if you're going for looks. I'd consider these to be an OEM Plus sort of modification, the handling is improved without compromising the ride much. The progressive nature of the spring is also nice. Complimented my moderately stiffer sway bars well, and worked well with the improved rubber too.

The Less Good:
The price? These are one of, if not the most, expensive spring options for the vehicle. The ride is a bit more bumpy, it's not uncomfortable: but you can tell a bit more about the quality of the pavement. Speed bumps are bit more jarring, obviously, but still worth noting.

Conclusion:
Very happy with my purchase. Vastly superior to the stock springs IMHO and much more enjoyable to drive on in the mountains. Autocrossing feels better overall; the springs didn't exactly improve my times much auto-magically, but they have made it easier to correct mistakes, slowly improving my times over multiple events.

Notes: If you install these yourself make sure to get the rears tight by pulling up on the top hat while you tighten with a pass through wrench and an Allen key, beware using an impact as these shafts are apparently pretty prone to spinning. The very first strut that I assembled (back left) was a tiny bit loose and required more tightening, even though it felt tight. It was a simple but time-consuming fix that I'd love to keep others from dealing with.

Last edited by Keenercarguy; 03-01-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Keenercarguy For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (01-16-2017), cdrazic93 (03-01-2016), Cole (03-01-2016), DAEMANO (03-01-2016), D_Thissen (01-15-2017), Jfheisenberg (03-01-2016), Lynxis (03-01-2016), Mr.Impreza (02-29-2016), Racecomp Engineering (03-01-2016), ShadowReaper (03-08-2020), soulreapersteve (01-15-2017), TofuJoe (01-14-2017), Xiijuwa (03-01-2016)