View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #51
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
Didn't insult anyone who bought the car at launch, just him.
I insulted him for buying it at launch because he's complaining after the fact about how this car is and I quote "sheep in wolf's clothing." then laments all the bad with the car from his experience. As if he's surprised that a first model car might have issues that need to be sorted out.
I think your interpretation of the video @Dezoris made might be coming from a different perspective than what he is trying to point out, which is fine.

To me, I interpreted it as issues coming up as a result of modding cars in general. In @Dezoris case, it just happened to be an 86. What if he right now decided to buy a new model year car like the Miata ND platform and decided to go FI right off the bat and ran into a whole slew of issues similar to what he did with the 86? Issues mainly due to lack of R&D with aftermarket FI kits like the Vortech kit that seemed to be rushed to the aftermarket?

Of course, things can go differently with a Miata ND, but modding a car with aftermarket parts like the Vortech kit that was literally a prototype on the 86, which was also literally a new platform too at the time, you're putting two unknowns together. What do you expect? No issues? @Dezoris video was merely pointing out the issues of working on a new platform and what he has experienced of being an early adopter of aftermarket FI, and the issues that stem from it (quality, fitment, lack of aftermarket support with no solid tuning solutions).

Being a daily driver for @Dezoris, it was like driving a science experiment carrying a laptop for data logging everywhere. At that point, OEM reliability has been long gone when you have to commute to work, run errands, or take a road trip. Any car you mod will never be reliable as OEM, let alone adding FI on a new platform and expect it to be reliable.

So what do you do? It depends on your interest and motivation. For most, modding cars is an addition and they become money pits. When it becomes a headache, you realize there are more important things in life you can spend your money on.

So what you do you? @Dezoris could have spent even more money on a new blower set up. He could have spent more money on a more reliable tuning solution. He could have reversed everything back to stock, spend time dealing with parting out the Vortech kit and other mods done to the car (which is time consuming and a headache as well). Or he could have just cut his losses and sell the car as is, which is what he did, and that was the most cost effective way out in a situation like this in my opinion.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote