Old 09-01-2021, 04:34 PM   #284
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjaw View Post
While I anxiously await the arrival of kit, does anyone have feedback on a good set of cams that won't disrupt any bottom end power for a stock K24a2? Or should I just stick with stock cams...
I did the 50 degree gear, but if you go with that then you have to be careful when choosing cams because you could have too much lift in conjunction with timing changes that causes piston to valve interference. There are pins to limit the rotation of the 50 degree gear.

https://tractuff.com/products/tractuff-vtc-limiter

A TSX RBB will have a three lobe cam with decent lift as is. You can go more aggressive, or you could get the K20a head, which I think is a little more aggressive and flows better. For NA builds, just start with a K20A head on the K24 block, or get a 4 Piston head to put on your block. Port and polish work will open them up that much more. I don't think the K20a heads will be a problem with this wiring harness or intake manifold, but contact Kpower to confirm.

A cam lobe can have any reasonable shape, and because the cam physically changes to a different "high" lobe when VTEC is activated, there are plenty of possibilities; the low lobe could stay identical and the high lobe could be larger, or whatever. You will need to select the cam profile based on your goals and your build. I have the RSX Type S oil pump that raises the risk of cavitation beyond 8k, but I don't really plan on revving the stock motor past 7.5k until I do a build on the bottom end. Even then, 8k is probably fine, but we will see. With that said, a high rpm build will require a cam lobe with not only high lift but also high duration, so the valve is open as long as possible because the piston speeds will be so high that there just won't be enough time for the valve to be open to deliver air and fuel. The point is: it depends, but just remember that between VTEC and variable valve timing there is a lot of potential for variation.